Re: Installing FC3 on second hard disk

Hello,

please don't post HTML mail to this mailing list.

Stephen Ng wrote:
I would like to install FC3 on a second hard disk. I understand that this is possible with almost all distributions. The question I have is - If I want to do this without causing problems with my current installation of RedHat 9 and Windows XP on the first (original) drive what do I need to do with grub and grub.conf to make sure that after installation of FC3 I can still boot into RedHat or Windows XP whenever I need to. I would still want grub installed on the original first drive, but have it point to FC3 on the second disk so that I can optionally boot FC3 or my original RedHat/XP. Booting from floppy or other such work around would be messy so I would prefer not to go down this route.

I understand that it would be best to create a separate swap and boot partition on the second drive, which is fine by me. I have not tried it yet so I am guessing that if I start the FC3 install process, somewhere down the line when it installs grub, it would simply overwrite my current grub configuration. Is this right? If so what will I need to do to protect my current grub config? Will simply copying it to a safe place, then restoring it after installing FC3 and then manually editing it to add the FC3 parameters be the correct thing to do?

And by the way, what will be the correct grub.conf settings to boot from the second hard disk?

I would appreciate any help on this question.

When installing FC3, have it install grub in the boot/root partition instead of the Master Boot Record. Then configure your existing bootloader on your first hard disk to chain-load the newly-installed FC3 grub.

Which bootloader are you currently using?

Paul.