Re: troubles building kernel

On Saturday 29 January 2005 22:54, EBEIGHE bicyclewheelers.com wrote:

[...]

>I am still wondering about system.map file.

The System.map is a link should be linked to a
System.map-2.x.xx-extra-version-string
in the /boot directory.  I have no idea if thats handled automaticly
by those who actually use the 'make install' of the Makefile or not.
I personally haven't used that in several years as my own script also
takes care of all the housekeeping without putzing with my grub.conf,
which I do by hand.

However, if I back up 1-15 kernel versions and boot that, this link
seems to be self updating and is not a problem when I scroll back up
the list grub gives me and decide to use an older kernel.

>I didn't do anything with that -- yet everything seems ok. is that
> right? I was reading this HOWTO:
>http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html#INSTALLAT
>ION and it talks about copying it /boot and making some link to it.
> Do I need to do that?

I *think* its automatic these days, go take a look with an
"ls -l /boot".

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)