Re: troubles building kernel

Actually, I was booting with LINLOAD (first i boot dos, then i use
LINLOAD to boot FC3. Seems to work great. FWIW: the actual name of the
initrd file appears to be irrelevent, but i did need the newly-generated initrd.

The puzzle seems to be coming together! thanks for all everyone's help and
suggestions.

One thing still bugs me -- and this relates to the EXTRAVERSION string
in the Makefile.
It seems to me that I should be able to build
an EXACT replica of anything, in this case the kernel, yet I can't achieve that.
I know this is sort of an arbitrary goal, but by doing so it would in my mind
validate the process. I.e. it would mean I used *exactly* all the same settings, and
source code and compiler versions, etc.
I'll have a look at the "Kernel Compilation Tutorial"... thanks.

So, you were pointing GRUB at the new kernel and old initrd and it
wasn't working?  Making the new initrd seems like the right thing to
do, but it also would make sense if the old one did work.  If you want
to experiment some, maybe try copying the old initrd to
initrd-2.6.9-prep and seeing if maybe the name matters....

 Here is an example
of how to customize the .config file and rebuild the src.rpm:
http://crab-lab.zool.ohiou.edu/kevin/kernel-compilation-tutorial-en/