Re: troubles building kernel

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 18:31 -0700, EBEIGHE bicyclewheelers.com wrote:
hi there.
i've never actually built a kernel before, so I'm having newbie trouble -- I
wonder if some kind soul can set me straight?

It would help if you describe the end result that you are trying to accomplish.

Are you are simply trying to learn how too build a kernel from source or
are you trying to modify something?

At this stage, just trying to do it for the exerience :-)

I went through the whole procedure again, this time building and installing modules, and got the same failure.
In any event, I'm not really sure why, but I needed to re-create the initrd. I was under the (mistaken) impression that since i was (or thought I was) just building an exact replica of the existing kernel I would not need a new initrd. But by making a new one, i.e.:
mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-prep 2.6.9-prep
And using that along with the new kernel everything booted up fine!

I see where the -prep comes from in the Makefile, but am wondering, why does it say that? I would have expected it to be -1.667 Obviously this isn't really the makefile that was used to create the vmlinux-2.6.9-1.667 that I got when I installed FC3.

I am still wondering about system.map file.
I didn't do anything with that -- yet everything seems ok. is that right?
I was reading this HOWTO:
http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html#INSTALLATION
and it talks about copying it /boot and making some link to it. Do I need to do that?

Thanks,