Re: Problem to configure my external USB CD-burner with FC2

dellache@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hello,

I have an external USB combo CD-RW/DVD R. Despite I have succeeded to
mount my CD-Rom, I do not succeed to configure the CD-burner (see below
for example what I obtain with the command line "# cdrecord -scanbus").

My linux distribution is a Fedora Core 2.6.5-1.358

The /etc/fstab file contains the line

/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660,noauto,owner,ro 0 0

Is-there someone who could help me to configure my laptop for my CD-Rw
burner ? Is there any bug in this Fedora 2.6.5 ? (by the way : the CD-rw
is ok with my windose partition).

Thank you for the info !

Stéph

# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
Jörg Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
<warly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this
version.
scsidev: 'ATA'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/hd*'. Cannot open
SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
root.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

Steph, the fstab definition of your cd/dvd device is that of ro (read only). It needs to be changed to rw.

You should also check your /etc/cdrecord.conf file and make sure that the device is shown there as your CDR_DEVICE. Also, unless you want to limit your use of the device to times when you are logged in as root, change the cdrecord permissions to allow other users to execute the program with write priveleges.