Re: Installing Multiple Linux OSes

On Sunday 23 January 2005 11:21, Jeff Vian wrote:
>On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 09:23 -0600, Jeff Stevens wrote:
>> Banjo Mailing List wrote:
>> > just install it as it is grub will fix your solution and for the
>> > partitioning as long as you have the three basic partitions
>> > namely / /boot <swap> you're alright.  There's no proper
>> > sequence of installation whatever suits you and which ever
>> > you're convinient its alright
>>
>> I am curious as to whether using existing / and /boot partitions
>> will result in binary files getting overlaid by the new
>> distribution being installed?  I did a 2nd install letting
>> everything be automatic and found that the partition tools
>> automatically made a /1 mount point to serve as / for the 2nd
>> install.  So that made me think you can't install 2 OS to the same
>> partitions...
>
>You cannot (and would not want to) install 2 different OSes on the
> same partition.  Trying to do so would result in many files with
> only the latest installed binaries available and would likely
> severely break all but the latest install.  However as you noted
> you can have multiple OSes on the same physical drive - each in its
> own set of partitions.  This is usually referred to as dual-booting
> or multi-booting.
>
>Also as has been noted, / and /boot will need to be different. swap
> can be shared since only one install will be running at a time.

Here, although I've just destroyed it with a new install, /boot does
not need to be a seperate partition for each install.  All you need
is vim to fix the grub.conf so things are properly defined and you
are off to the races.  Each entry in your grub.conf needs to point
the root(number,number) at the same /boot partition, and then the
kernel command line root=/dev/partition-containing-this-boots-slash,
which of course must be different.  I've been doing that with
BDI-Live, and FC2 installs on the same box for about 6 months.

When this install gets done I'll have a /boot on two different drives.
I'll probably combine them and ignore the wasted partition
on /dev/hdb.  But I did it this way because I didn't want /dev/hda1
to be formatted.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)