Re: Installing Multiple Linux OSes

On Sunday 23 January 2005 02:37, Prudhvi Krishna Surapaneni wrote:
> Hello there,
>          is it possible to Install Multiple Versions of Linux.
>          i am currently using FC3 is it possible for me to install
> SuSE 9.0 or Slackware Linux to run on my PC?.
>          if yes,how to partition my Hard Disk,Generally we need a
> SWAP,BOOT and / partitions to install Linux, if at all i am having
> Multiple Versions of Linux how can i do the Partition thing?
>    plz Help me.

Although you can probably share swap, nothing else can be shared.  There is no
real reason that /boot needs a separate partition ... just create a root
("/") for each system.

You will need one of the system to be the "master" with grub installed into
the MBR (master boot record) all all other having grub (or whatever loader
they use) installed into the "/" partition.  For the master system (assuming
FC3 with grub), add an entry for each additional system of the form:

title This is SUSE (or whatever)
        rootnoverify (hd0,6)
        chainloader +1

where (hd0,6) would be equivalent to /dev/hda7

I have systems with many systems ... for example FC3 i386, FC3 x86_64, rawhide
i386, rawhide x86_64.  I have a special (minimal install) system which has
all of the extra systems defined and has grub in the MBR with all the others
in separate partitions.
--
Gene