Re: Installing Multiple Linux OSes

On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 09:23 -0600, Jeff Stevens wrote:
> Banjo Mailing List wrote:
> > just install it as it is grub will fix your solution and for the
> > partitioning as long as you have the three basic partitions namely /
> > /boot <swap> you're alright.  There's no proper sequence of
> > installation whatever suits you and which ever you're convinient its
> > alright
>
> I am curious as to whether using existing / and /boot partitions will
> result in binary files getting overlaid by the new distribution being
> installed?  I did a 2nd install letting everything be automatic and
> found that the partition tools automatically made a /1 mount point to
> serve as / for the 2nd install.  So that made me think you can't install
> 2 OS to the same partitions...

You cannot (and would not want to) install 2 different OSes on the same
partition.  Trying to do so would result in many files with only the
latest installed binaries available and would likely severely break all
but the latest install.  However as you noted you can have multiple OSes
on the same physical drive - each in its own set of partitions.  This is
usually referred to as dual-booting or multi-booting.

Also as has been noted, / and /boot will need to be different. swap can
be shared since only one install will be running at a time.