Re: IS FC3 stable?

Am Mo, den 10.01.2005 schrieb Les Mikesell um 23:23:

> The last thing everyone needs is a sendmail that accepts and
> forwards email without any configuration.   I would hope that
> Windows exchange server also requires some configuration before
> it does that. Likewise, a package like Cyrus that does not
> [ ... ]

> Les Mikesell

I fully agree to this. Any MTA, especially a complete working pair of
MTA and IMP/POP3 server, but too a webserver like Apache and a DNS like
Bind are well examples where you need a lot of knowledge about the
single applications and their interaction with others including foreign
hosts. Not to speak about deep knowledge about RFCs.

Certainly, one day we will see the time where people can simply talk to
their computer like Scotty (we all probably remember the film scene when
he took the 90th PC mouse and tried to talk to the computer using it by
saying "Computer! ...). But even in there future days there will be
users and technicians. Last are well trained, know what they do and do
the basic things, so that when the user comes and says "Computer, read
me all new messages which came in since I went out" this will and can
happen.
It is a misconception to expect that someone without any knowledge about
the technical aspects should be able to setup a complete mailserver,
interacting with the whole world, just by installing a program package.
If things would be that simple (and have no potential to be harmful) ...

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 00:40:56 up 19 days, 2:24, load average: 0.64, 0.78, 1.01