Re: IS FC3 stable?

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 16:04, Pete wrote:
> Rahul, please step back a moment, how would
> you like to buy a new car, and have to rewire it, move things around,
> etc, before you could drive it off the dealers lot.  We've come a long
> way, but whether you want to admit it or not, we have a long way to go.
> Let's start walking, instead of claiming we don't need to go.

The last thing everyone needs is a sendmail that accepts and
forwards email without any configuration.   I would hope that
Windows exchange server also requires some configuration before
it does that. Likewise, a package like Cyrus that does not
assume that email users match local unix users can't possibly
work until you tell it how to authenticate these users.  If you
can suggest a working default, please do.  I'm all in favor
of good defaults that work as-is for most users.  I just can't
think of one that would work for sendmail or cyrus.  Maybe
they could be built to require pam authentication with the
same system stack for pam that everything else uses.  But then
you lose the cyrus advantage of not needing a unix login.

But, I have to ask: if you want something that works with the
default install, why are you using Cyrus instead of Dovecot?

--
  Les Mikesell
   les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx