Re: IS FC3 stable?

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Am Mo, den 10.01.2005 schrieb Pete um 22:12:

I've noticed a couple things about FC3 that aren't Stable or quite working.

Single not properly working as expected applications are normal. That's the reason why bugzilla.redhat.com exists. This does not indicate that the whole release is not stable.

1. several of the server settings frontends aren't working very well, ie. the httpd and named front-ends.

Never used any of them. The non-functioning is bugzilla reported?

2. if you're looking to use the system as a mailer _Server_, you'll have some fun configuring sendmail and cyrus. In fact a front-end to cyrus / sendmail / saslauth would be wonderful.

Nothing is broken there. You just have to minimal configure Sendmail - Cyrus-IMAPd interaction. Trivial even if you want to run a mail server, as you should know about the details. All far from being unstable.

3. multiple LUN or master/slave on sbp2 drives is still broken.

And that makes the full Core release non stable? Whoever is about to use Fedora should read

http://fedora.redhat.com/about/objectives.html

and then to know that will use a system at top of Linux development. If
you prefer something like "Debian stable" (including the age of software
as consequence of some definition of stability) then Fedora Core is
certainly the wrong system. On the other hand, if you have most modern
hardware, you won't come far by using such very conservative Linux.

Pete

Alexander

Alex, I hardly said the whole release was un-stable, I just pointed out a few things that aren't working properly. And as far as cyrus/sendmail, if we ever want Linux to seriously challenge Windows, we're going to have to do better than placing packages in a release that need quite a bit of twiddling to get to function even marginally. I point to bsodmikes posting on Cyrus and sendmail. Now, as far as the LUN support, that's purely a kernel issue, but important none-the-less for someone inquiring as to the release being stable. Now if you mean the literal meaning of stable, as in does it crash or panic, I don't think I've seen a kernel panic in years. But for someone going through the motions of installing an operating system and all the effort than entails, I thought I'd pass on my experiences with FC3 to-date. So, repectfully, lighten-up Alex, we all love Linux or we wouldn't be here.