Re: Suspend to RAM

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:39:30 -1000
Amy M <amymom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In a recent review article, it was mentioned that the "Suspend to RAM"
> feature works right out of the box for SuSE 9.2, but needed a lot of
> tweaking (including recompiling the kernel), as well as special scrip,
> for FC3.

I can tell you this much, from using a Thinkpad X22 with Fedora Core 3.
You may notice different results on a different machine.  (Who knows - for
another laptop brand, suspend to ram might actually work :) )

- ACPI suspend hangs the machine.

- Fedora out-of-box doesn't support software suspend (to disk) - for that
you may need a kernel recompile.

- APM suspend (to RAM) won't work unless you stop
the PCMCIA service before suspending, and even then it won't wake up
sometimes.

- APM hibernate (suspend to disk) works nearly flawlessly after
creating a hibernation file with tphdisk.  You don't even have to stop
PCMCIA.  The only catch is that you must mute and unmute sound with amixer
after resuming.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/