Re: What happened to gqview

Paul Howarth wrote:
Robin Laing wrote:

I will agree with this. The one thing that is required for many "NEW" users is the GUI and a configured yum.conf file.

FC3 *does* come with a configured yum.conf file, complete with pointer to a mirrorlist so that everyone's not trying to download everything from download.fedora.redhat.com.

I meant to include other repos such as freshrpms etc. They could be commented out but still there. Of course I haven't tried FC3 yet as I haven't had the time. Xmas project?

A new user file with an icon on the desktop would also be a great idea with common answers such as how to get mp3 and DVD's to play on Fedora.

Wouldn't that mean an official endorsement of one of the "unofficial" repos?

Is it an endorsement or an explanation? Last I heard, there is nothing illegal about talking about how to do something. This is something that I will have to think about.

 > It is common for

people to keep asking the same quesitions within the lists.

True; given though that so many people can't be bothered to read the release notes, which are prominently advertised by anaconda during the install/upgrade process, I suspect the same questions would continue to be asked.

For many new users, the release notes are more techno-babble. They wouldn't understand it. Of course, many experienced users don't read it either. It is like a man asking for directions or using a map. It just isn't Macho.

Even a link on the desktop to the faq and release notes and documentation project would be a great start. It gives people a place to start.

Paul.

I look at a common denominator in dealing with computer problems and explaining things. How easy would it be for my mother-in-law to understand and do. I work with some very brilliant people but I have been dumbfounded as to the simple things that they cannot do or understand. I have seen a person with multiple phd's sit at an electric typewriter and complain that it didn't work. It was turned off.

--
Robin Laing