trying to update to "new" ATI drivers killed X on my FC2

OK, I saw a note from someone pointing to a blurb on the fedorafaq about how to upgrade to "new" ATI drivers for FC2 (I thought). I have never had a problem with using yum and the livna repositories before so I thought, "what can it hurt?" The yum install or update, whichever it was, reported complete success without warning or error.

Now my laptop boots to a text login prompt instead of its old graphical login prompt and when I login, I get just the bash shell instead of kde as before. I don't actually know what *should* be done after logging into text command shell so I tried "startx" as a shot in the dark, but got a page of info, ending with an error and that's it. I'm stuck in the 1970's.

So now my laptop is unusable (to me) since I have no significant Internet software that I can use from a command prompt and I am forced to boot to WinXP to ask: How do I back out of this update I performed (via yum)? Or am I shot and must I now spend days trying to figure out how the rpm system or, worse, how the X system works?

help! :-(