ftp trouble (2) - routing?

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 00:28, S J wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 19:04, S J wrote:
> >

> >>I have vsftpd running on my computer behind a Dlink router.
> >>Users seem to be able to login to the server just fine, but after the
> >>client goes into passive mode, it hangs and
> >>doesnt show the directory listing.
> >>

> >Have you tried setting the clients to active mode ftp instead of
> >passive?
> >

> I tried active mode. This is what I get :
>
> 230 Login successful.
> SYST
> 215 UNIX Type: L8
> TYPE I
> 200 Switching to Binary mode.
> PWD
> 257 "/home/ftp-docs"
> PORT 192,168,0,100,132,15
> 200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
> LIST -aL
>
> And still no directory listing.
>
> ~SJ
> P.S.: I might have accidentally sent an HTML post earlier. Sorry about
> that.

I have a similar problem to SJ, I have added ip_conntrack_ftp to the
iptables.config but this only partially solved the problem.

In my case the ftp server has 2 NICs eth0 is on my local network and is
trusted - it is used for control eg SSH and VNC. eth1 has an external
IP.

When I connect from a machine on the internal network to the FTP server
internal IP the FTP works ok and it works properly if I connect with an
internal machine to the external IP of the FTP server. However, If I
connect from an external machine I get the same results as SJ.

I need to be able to set up the FTP server to be used with IE6 as most
users will be using. When I tired to connect with IE6 rather than a
straight FTP command from a dos prompt, all worked well until I tried to
open the folder after some time IE6 reported unable to resolve address.
I guess that the problem is with routing rather than iptables I suspect
that VSFTP is trying to route via the internal network rather than the
external IP.

I have the gateway for eth0 set as the internal gateway and for eth1 as
the external one, is this right?

Rob