Re: ftp trouble

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 19:04, S J wrote:
> I have vsftpd running on my computer behind a Dlink router.
> Users seem to be able to login to the server just fine, but after the
> client goes into passive mode, it hangs and
> doesnt show the directory listing.

Have you tried setting the clients to active mode ftp instead of
passive?

> So I'm guessing its a router issue? Except, I've already opened up the
> ports 20 and 21 for ftp.

Normally when going through a router/firewall passive mode is the way to
go, I think it goes something like this:
1. Client establishes a control connection with the server on port 21
2. Server tells client to initiate another connection on a random port
(1024+) to receive data.
3. This makes the firewall/router think the client opened a connection
and is waiting for a reply (like to an http "get") and thus allows the
data to be sent from server to client on a high port (not 20).

Otherwise with active ftp the firewall sees a connection from the client
(1024+) to the server (21) and the server trying to stuff data down port
20 gets blocked since it was originated on the outside. But if you allow
21 in, you need to allow 20 out for active. If your server is set up
passive and it's not working, check your dlinks router logs for blocked
packets.

Mark