Re: failure to boot

I had problems booting my machine in FC3.

James Wilkinson helped me to get it started by disabling pcmcia:

One [way] is to go into /etc/modprobe.conf
and change the yenta-socket lines to
install yenta-socket /bin/true
(or add one of those lines if yenta-socket isn't mentioned).

That worked, but of course my wireless cardbus card won't work now. James suggested:

Speaking of which, upgrades should be your next priority. There's a new
kernel out, which might have fixed the PCMCIA problem. And there are
lots of other upgrades, too.

And then, if that doesn't help, can you report your problems to
http://bugzilla.redhat.com ?

I have downloaded and installed all available updates (using up2date), and the machine still works, as before (I was not certain that this would be the case). I then edited /etc/modprobe.conf back to its original state (deleted 'install yenta-socket /bin/true') and restarted the machine. This time I received a message regarding a 'kernel panic', and when I switched 'rhgb quite' off again it became clear that the process hung in some loop, with the same message being printed constantly. It was something about X11 trying to access some hardware (should I try and repeat that and copy down the message?). Clearly, enabling pcmcia is still not a great idea. Would this now qualify as the kind of problem I should report at bugzilla?

Thanks.

Gerhard (today without signature)