what font is used in login window?

I am using Fedora Core 1 (kernel-2.4.22-1.2199.nptl);
the size of the font in the initial boot window and
in the login window is sometimes large, sometimes small,
seeming to vary randomly from one boot to the next.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Does anyone know how this font is determined, and
where it resides?

The font size in some parts of some applications
(e.g. opera, gv) is also affected.

This is an irritant that has been present for over a
year, but it would be nice to fix, so I am writing
this note.

Should I just upgrade to Core 2?

    -- Peter