Re: Where is the $LANG variable defined?

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 02:12:42PM +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
> Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
>
> >In FC3's current version of ssh stuff there is a new? (to me) flag
> >that lets specific environment variables pass.  Something like...
> >
> >     ssh -o"SendEnv blat" xtl1
> >
> >If this works as expected one could pass $LANG and get a forward
> >looking language match.  Language and timezone info seem like good
> >choices of variables to pass.  This is not enabled by default
> >and warrants some inspection...
>
> Setting LANG on the remote system to match that on the local system
> should make messages from locale-aware programs look right, but ls and
> Bash don't transcode filenames so file listings would be damaged and
> filenames typed on the command line would be wrong.

Yes....
That is in part why I passed 'blat' not LANG in my example.
And why I mentioned both "ssh -f" and "ssh -o".

By passing information via a variable like 'blat' automated desisions
can be made and informed actions are possible.

As you indicated things can get  massively tangled when
multiple users interact as your  Concurrent Versions System
example indicated.

This issue is vastly more important than top/bottom posting yet it
gets little or no discussion by comparison.  And yes the evil HTML has
some chance of moderating this problem.  But that cure carries risks
that few understand and I am mostly unwilling to take.

As to the original question "Where is the $LANG variable defined?"
the answer is that it is set in a gazillion places as an inspection
of /etc/init.d/* and /etc/profile.d/*  will begin to show.
Most users care about /etc/sysconfig/i18n but there is much more
to look at on a multi user, remote access. colaborative   machine.

Of interest inspect this stuff:
   AliasMatch ^/manual(?:/(?:de|en|fr|ja|ko|ru))?(/.*)?$ "/var/www/manual$1"
in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

Consider how an individual might read language AA,  translate to
language ZZ then check the info into a CVS tree and post a message in
language MM for others to keep track of the info....

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.