Re: Where is the $LANG variable defined?

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 07:50:00PM +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
> >And something does -- set the LANG variable right, and it'll work, right?
> If it's that easy, why doesn't SSH set LANG? Why should I have a lot of
> trouble doing this manually every time? And how does that help with
> filenames?

Answers to your questions in order. :)

1. Because it has no idea what to set it to.
2. You shouldn't have to go to a lot of trouble. And you shouldn't need to
   do it manually each time -- at the very least, you can script it.
3. The filename encoding problem is kinda sticky. Devising a workable
   on-the-fly transcoding solution seems like a lot of work on the
   _symptoms_. Instead, let's work on getting everything to work well with
   UTF-8.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>