Re: Where is the $LANG variable defined?

Matthew Miller wrote:

I don't think SSH *should* be handling different character sets. Right now,
it just passes on whatever data it gets. If it got into the business of
munging things to match whatever it thought you wanted, I can see all sorts
of potential problems.

SSH might not be the right place to solve the problem. It certainly mustn't try to transcode the contents of files in transfer or tunneled TCP sessions, but *something* has to transcode text displayed in the terminal window and filenames.

Björn Persson