Re: OGL (was Re: Random total lockups)

This thread ended quite a while ago, but I FINALLY figured out what was causing my "random total lockups" and share with the world so that someone else may be able to avoid the months of agony I went through.

After replacing what I thought was *every single piece* of hardware in my box (a dual opteron server running FC2 2.6.5 and then 2.6.8) including the motherboard, memory, case/power supply, video card, etc. and plowing through a bunch of money yet still getting the same completely random lockups, I had pretty much given up. I noticed that turning off the X server seemed to prevent such lockups, so basically I could sleep at night knowing that as long as X was off, the server would still run.

Out of sheer dumb luck, my landlord kicked me out of my apartment and I had to find a new place to live. When I moved into my new apartment, my CRT monitor jiggled due to an unusually strong magnetic field, so I had to scrap it and get an LCD which has no vaccum tube to be affected by the magnetic field.

Lo and behold, I haven't had a lockup since. That was 60 days ago. I'd never gone more than 11 days without a lockup before. I did have lockups in the new apartment before the LCD came, so I know it wasn't the power (using UPS's anyway) or some other factor in the move. My conclusion is that one of two things was happening:

a) The monitor was sending some sort of voltage feedback back into the motherboard, causing the machine to lock (unlikely), OR
b) The module/code controlling the Samsung 955df CRT monitor was flawed (much more likely, I'd say). Once I plugged in the LCD and configured X to handle a "generic LCD" rather than the Samsung, I stopped having lockups.

There is an outside chance that one of my xorg package updates also corrected whatever problem might have been there. I'm not exactly sure. I do know that I tried upgrading xorg several times and it never helped before. I'm also disinclined to believe that due to the incredible coincidental timing of the last lockup, which occurred just a day or two before the new LCD was installed.

Hope this helps somebody else in the future.

Cyrus