Re: PS on exclusion Re: FC1 Users: Sample .... One more problem

Beartooth wrote:
I used galeon for years, till it began to get slow, and went back to it
when firefox did. My browsers typically run faster when newly updated, and
slow gradually down; if I can, I keep galeon, opera, and firefox all open

This seems odd -- are you regularly clearing out the cache? I haven't ever experienced the gradual slowing down you describe, but I hope we can find a solution to your issue. Have you tried strace on any of the browsers to see if there is some output that could be helpful there for troubleshooting?

(with a separate workspace for each), with ten or twenty tabs each, and
use mainly the one currently fastest. I also keep the default browser set
to Konqueror, so that opening a site from my email or newsreader doesn't
mess up one of the main ones; and I keep the security settings (privoxy
exceptions, cookie treatment, java settings, etc) a little different on
all three (and minimal on the default); so if a page fails to render in
one browser, I just go to another.

I'm not entirely clear on this desktop setup -- are you really saying that you have at lease three browsers open at all times, each with 10-20 pages being rendered? So at any time, there are at least between 30 and 60 different web pages being actively displayed? How much RAM are you running?

I hit dependency hell trying to install galeon on my current athlon FC1
desktop, and just get along without it. Since the installation on the
backup p2 still has a working galeon, I use it there.

Gnome's moved to epiphany for its browser, for reasons that I don't recall, and I don't believe galeon comes with FC2. But there are available rpm's for galeon (you should be able to grab the rpm from Dag's site) that are compatible with moz 1.7.3.

I've tried to run galeon on a mozilla-free machine; that works after a
fashion with firefox (which I believe to be in extension hell at present;
I'll scrub kit & caboodle and re-install it from scratch when all the
foofaraw over 1.0 subsides -- preferably for 1.1 ...). But it fails, alas!
with galeon.

Hope this helps, Clint