Re: Replies as attachments on this list...

Paul Howarth writes:

Andrea Giuliano wrote:
I'm using Mozilla 1.7.2, and I don't see GPG signatures in most of the posts I checked. For instance, all posts from Alexander Dalloz don't appear to have a GPG signature. I've also look at the full source of the messages, but I couldn't find a signature.

Let's take an actual example: look at the only one "Re: Changing Console Resolution!" by Alexander and the only one "Re: How do I Maintain hard disk healthI" by fredex.

Here's the raw message for that posting as it arrived at my server:

This is mailman's thing. When it sees multipart/signed content (a GPG-signed message) it knows that, if it slapped on the usual fedora mailing list signature at the end, nobody would see it since it follows the terminating delimiter of the multipart/signed MIME section, which gets discarded as junk.

Therefore, it takes the whole thing and shoves it inside a multipart/mixed section, with the first part being the payload in the original message, and the second part being the fedora mailing list signature.

I do not see anything that's technically wrong here. The resulting message is a valid MIME message, and properly-implemented MIME mail clients will display everything correctly. The only ones who will have a problem are users of Microsoft's virus distribution system, which gets stumped by the multipart/signed MIME content type and barfs all over itself.