Re: can't change screen resolution

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 15:30 +0200, Pietro R.A. Binetti wrote:
> I hope to correctly answer you: the detected hardware is the following
>
> Video card:   Trident CyberBlade (generic)
> Monitor Type: LCD Panel 1024x768
>
> I can change the Monitor type from Display settings option panel, and if
> I do that, the new values are remembred: I don't have to reconfigure
> every time. i read the new values in the Display settings, but the don't
> correspond to the truth. For instance, I am now reading 1024x768, but i
> see the screen with 800x600 resolution.

As Tom suggested, it may be a problem with available memory. As well as
changing (or instead of) the amount of memory the graphics card is given
from "main memory", you could try reducing the "colour depth" to 256
colours to test if this is a problem. You could do this with out having
to change the BIOS :)

A good place to start when trying to trouble shoot are log files, these
can almost always be found in /var/log. You will be looking for the Xorg
log files which are /var/log/Xorg.0.log

If you can't see any problems then post a copy of the log file to the
list and we can try and read it for you (if it's not in english I'll be
unable to assist).

> Speaking about the upgrade, I launch the automatic upgrade every time I
> see the alert icon in the tray switching on. My system is always updated
> this way. Were you talking about these kind of updates, right?
> I update my pc this way, since I have a DSL connection.

Yes this is what I meant, however I was unsure how new you were, and I
felt describing a "yum update" would be easier for me.

> The touch pad, finally, is still a mistery to me...
>
> I hope you have more information in order to help me out solving my
> problems.

Not too much yet, but the log file will probably help quite a lot.

--
Douglas Furlong
Systems Administrator