RE: Reverse Question - FC2 Prints over network perfectly,

>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 6
>> Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:17:28 -0600
>> From: "Berg, Ivan Michael (Ivan)" <ivanberg@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Subject: Reverse Question - FC2 Prints over network perfectly,
Windows

<A9C8439C59C3C74DA34E75F5BE276E0E05E01EA4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> m>

>> Now, all used to be fine printing locally from WinXP to my old school

>> BJ200, with occasional horizontal lines fixed by cleaning the printer

>> or replacing the cartridge. Now, imagine my surprise when I print
from
>> my
>> FC2 box, and it prints flawlessly 100% of the time!
>>

>Hi Ivan:

>By "used to be fine", I assume you mean "before installing Service Pack
2"?
>And I read your post to mean that the printer is local to the XP box
and shared using Windows printer sharing to the Fedora system.

Used to be fine, as in one day my wife was using the WinXP SP1 box, and
the printer started having the problem (usually a physical printer
problem with ink cartridge). I upgraded to WinXPSP2 a couple of months
after.

>> Every application in WinXP (Word, Firefox, Excel, etc.) now has
>> trouble printing locally with horizontal lines. Why does FC2 work
fine
>> printing to the same exact printer over the network? Doesn't it
>> eventually use the same BJ200 Windows driver that seems to be having
issues?

>> Anyone have any ideas?

>Service Pack 2 on XP breaks a lot of things.  I would start by removing
SP2 (the installation should have backed up your old files and made a
restore point for you) and testing if that resolves the problem.

>The "improved security" in SP2 changes a lot of behavior, including the
firewall configuration and printer sharing.

>If XP is now handling your local printer like a shared one, and the
firewall is turned on by default, XP might be corrupting or blocking
data from your >print requests.

>Please post back with your results.  I'm not able to test things out so
I can't verify precisely what's happening for you.

Yes, XPSP2 does break a lot of things, but I don't use the XPSP2
firewall, it is disabled in favor of Sygate Personal Firewall Pro. Never
had any problems with XPSP2, but thanks for the suggestion.

Erik