can't change screen resolution

I hope to correctly answer you: the detected hardware is the following

Video card:   Trident CyberBlade (generic)
Monitor Type: LCD Panel 1024x768

I can change the Monitor type from Display settings option panel, and if
I do that, the new values are remembred: I don't have to reconfigure
every time. i read the new values in the Display settings, but the don't
correspond to the truth. For instance, I am now reading 1024x768, but i
see the screen with 800x600 resolution.

Speaking about the upgrade, I launch the automatic upgrade every time I
see the alert icon in the tray switching on. My system is always updated
this way. Were you talking about these kind of updates, right?
I update my pc this way, since I have a DSL connection.

The touch pad, finally, is still a mistery to me...

I hope you have more information in order to help me out solving my
problems.

Regards,
Pietro