Re: help with nvidia driver and XFree

François Patte wrote:

I have found (I hope to have...) the problem: I have update the kernel (now
running last one for FC1: 2199...) and I saw that there was rpm package for
nvidia drivers that livna.org recommands to use instead of nividia-installer:
so I installed this package for the kernel. yum installed
nvidia-glx-1.0.6106-0.lvn.4.1 and this package is bugged:

1- there is a contradiction beetween the /etc/rc.d/init.d/nvidia script and the
python script which is installed to enable or desable nvidia driver

2- When the /etc/rc.d/init.d/nvidia script is in use (and it is enabled by
default from rpm installation) the X xession crashes at boot time and gdm tries
to recover using /etc/X11/gdm/XKeepsCrashing script and it is this script which
calls redhat-config-xfree86....

redhat-config-xfree86 is not correctly updated: all the nvidia cards are
supposed to use the "nv" driver.... It is now named nvidia.

So, as Edward said, there is no monster, there is only old-fashioned config
softwares...

( I did not find again where is the database for video cards that
redhat-config-xfree86 reads to write XF86Config file...)

--
François Patte

Yes I had similar problems with the Livna rpms but since moving upto 2
I use ATrpms version of the nVidia6111 driver and it works very well.

   david