Re: help with nvidia driver and XFree

François Patte wrote:

Bonjour,

I have a problem with nvidia driver and XFree: At every boot something --I don't
know what, this thing doesn't sign its crime!-- write a new XF86Config file and
overwrite MY XF86Config writen according to the instructions given by nvidia;
example: nvidia tells to replace "Driver nv" which is obsolete, by "Driver
nvidia" and the monster everytime replaces "nvidia" by "nv".

And so on....

I thought that one thing that was exasperating with windows was to never know
where the config stuff is and where the things are put when you install
something....  I can see today that some linux distributions are going to make
the same!

Let me write MY config and help me only with man pages and examples!!!

So much time wasted to found out why my nvidia driver was not loaded!!

Thank you for a quick answer.

I have NEVER heard of that happening. Are you running any weird non-standard software? Are you sure you're actually SAVING your changes when you modify? Have you tried running in mode 3 just to test all this so you can start and stop X at will? If running multiple configurations, are you sure what you're modifying and the one configuration that's actually being used are the same?

I seriously think this may be something you're overlooking, because, as you mention, this isn't Windows. There are no monsters.

Regards,
Ed.