Re: help with nvidia driver and XFree

Selon Alexander Dalloz <alexander.dalloz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Am Di, den 24.08.2004 schrieb Edward um 3:38:
>
> > > I have a problem with nvidia driver and XFree: At every boot something
> --I don't
> > > know what, this thing doesn't sign its crime!-- write a new XF86Config
> file and
> > > overwrite MY XF86Config writen according to the instructions given by
> nvidia;
> > > example: nvidia tells to replace "Driver nv" which is obsolete, by
> "Driver
> > > nvidia" and the monster everytime replaces "nvidia" by "nv".
>
> > I have NEVER heard of that happening. Are you running any weird
> > non-standard software? Are you sure you're actually SAVING your changes
> > when you modify? Have you tried running in mode 3 just to test all this
> > so you can start and stop X at will? If running multiple configurations,
> > are you sure what you're modifying and the one configuration that's
> > actually being used are the same?
>
> > Ed.
>
> I remember someone else had exactly the same problem some month ago.
> Unfortunately I do not remember what was causing the problem. A good
> search through the list archive should point out what it was.
>
> Alexander

I have found (I hope to have...) the problem: I have update the kernel (now
running last one for FC1: 2199...) and I saw that there was rpm package for
nvidia drivers that livna.org recommands to use instead of nividia-installer:
so I installed this package for the kernel. yum installed
nvidia-glx-1.0.6106-0.lvn.4.1 and this package is bugged:

1- there is a contradiction beetween the /etc/rc.d/init.d/nvidia script and the
python script which is installed to enable or desable nvidia driver

2- When the /etc/rc.d/init.d/nvidia script is in use (and it is enabled by
default from rpm installation) the X xession crashes at boot time and gdm tries
to recover using /etc/X11/gdm/XKeepsCrashing script and it is this script which
calls redhat-config-xfree86....

redhat-config-xfree86 is not correctly updated: all the nvidia cards are
supposed to use the "nv" driver.... It is now named nvidia.

So, as Edward said, there is no monster, there is only old-fashioned config
softwares...

( I did not find again where is the database for video cards that
redhat-config-xfree86 reads to write XF86Config file...)

--
François Patte

Ecole française d'Extrême-Orient - Pune - Inde
Université René Descartes - Paris 5
UFR de mathématiques et informatique