Re: Disabling IPv6

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 11:57:17PM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Fr, den 02.07.2004 schrieb Daniel Ulfe um 23:31:

> > To disable IPv6 in Linux FC2 add this line in /etc/modprobe.conf
> >
> > alias net-pf-10 off

> > and reboot

> Why a reboot? This is not Windows[tm].

	The IPv6 protocol stack is not removable from the kernel.  Once
it has inserted it's hooks into the stack, it can not be removed from
a running kernel.  Ergo, you have to reboot to turn it off.

	OTOH...  Windows XP SP1 w/ advanced networking allows you to
install IPv6 without rebooting.  You can't change its address or its
name or domain or otherwise look CROSS-EYE at it without rebooting, but
you can install and entire blessed protocol stack (which includes
Teredo - IPv6 over UDP) without rebooting the thing.  Go figure.

	IPv6 - easy to turn on.  Impossible to get rid of.  [And damn
near impossible to prevent.]

	BTW...  For everyone else...  I've been looking into this deeper.
Seems that a lot of problems are being created due to the fact that IPv6
is actually NOT turned on it FC2!  It's getting loaded because something
is referencing the protocol (which is why the entry in /etc/moprobe.conf
solves the problem) but it is actually "turned off" (none of the init
scripts run) so it's loaded but unconfigured in its default state.  HERE
THERE BE DRAGONS.

	To verify this, all you have to do is peek at "/sbin/ip -6 route ls"
and see your configured IPv6 routes.  If you only see one or two lines,
bad news.  The init scripts deliberately black hole a number of routes
and networks.  If it's properly configured, you SHOULD see numerous
routes to networks tagged "unreachable" (especially all the 6to4 routes
for the IPv4 private addresses).

	People having problems with long delays in this half assed state -
I would love to know if the delays go away if you actually configure
"NETWORKING_IPV6=yes" and restart your network.  Then IPv6 will be
fully and properly configured.  It would explain why I've never experienced
the delays (I always have IPv6 configured and operational).

	<Shameless plug>

	I will be presenting my talk "The Brave New World of IPv6" at
LinuxWorld SF in August.  Come on out, if you are there, and learn more
about it.

	</Shameless plug>

> > Daniel

> Daniel,
>
> if you would follow the whole thread and in especial the original
> posting the question was not how to disable IPv6 with a modprobe.conf
> entry, but why the NETWORKING_IPV6=no setting does not have the expected
> effect.
>
> Alexander
>

> --
> Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany | GPG key 1024D/ED695653 1999-07-13
> Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.1
> Serendipity 23:54:57 up 1 day, 3:19, load average: 0.89, 0.86, 0.79

	Regards,
	Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@xxxxxxxxxxxx