Re: Deploring *nix Philosophy ( Was Re : Splitting archives across floppies )

Parameshwara Bhat writes:

This is a common trait of all *nixes as I am learning.Whatever are the inner strenghts and ideals,the above examples are born out of a lack of respect for the common computer user.Clear message - computer not for

I don't think its out of respect for the common computer user. Its purely out of a desire to make a system more secure than the machines out there that let you do anything to them as a 'normal' user.

I am an educated,thinking individual,but not in computers! but the world of Linux and Unixes have no respect for people like me.They do not seem to want us ( I do not mean to offend all those of you who have so voluntarily shared my troulbes taking them upon you ! )

I hate it when people do this, but sometimes its the best way. If you want a *good* understanding of how Linux all fits together, and WHY things like redirection are key to the way you work with the system, read the "Introduction To Linux" by Machtelt Garrels.

 http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html

Chapters 3 through 5 are especially interesting to users come from Windows, as it explains the whole Unix thing that "everything is a file" and about redirection and the important role that standard input and standard output has for programs, and what kinds of tricks you can expect to do with the input and output of a unix tool.

\n

--
Nathan Ollerenshaw - www.valuecommerce.co.jp

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein