Deploring *nix Philosophy ( Was Re : Splitting archives across floppies )

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 17:40:22 +0100, James Wilkinson <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(Netiquette note: when you're responding to a digest, it's a good idea
to change the subject back to something useful).

(My original thread had it!It was perhaps overlooked in the second)

Parameshwara Bhat wrote:
Yes,that does work.But what I was looking for was not just meeting an
actual need.But a technological question as to why Linux can't do it or
doesn't do it or hasn't thought fo doing it ? What you suggest is a two
way work .But Winzip has been spanning floppies for many years and it
appears so simple a task in Windows.Why this feature not in Linux ? I
guess because of it's clumsy mount and unmount ?

It's more a philosophical point. ( Rest read and snipped ! )

It indeed is ! Well I can't see the situation in your place, in my place I am one attracted to FS /OSS for it's idealism and trying to keep myself afloat on Linux in the sea of Windows and all personal computers . Now I see that CDs cost a bit less than or at most equal to floppies and my point perhaps makes no sense.

But in this lonely attempt,many times I felt frustrated at the complicated ways even KDE and GNOME and Fedora think!Look at the stupidity of denying access to floppies and CD-roms to user accounts(You can't unmount a CD and not hope to eject)in a desktop installation of Fedora ( choice offered in Anaconda ) I am both root and user.I am advised not to work as root.But I can't take out a CD and put another one in ! I must be root to do that.I can't dial up to internet connection as a user.I must be root to do that and you are not supposed to be that connecting to internet.It is not all that complicated to surmount this,but as a new user from the world of Windows,each required great deal of wondering and digging.It is as much an effort getting sound !

This is a common trait of all *nixes as I am learning.Whatever are the inner strenghts and ideals,the above examples are born out of a lack of respect for the common computer user.Clear message - computer not for non-programmers and non-geeks!And as much out of a lack of imagination.What else for it should offer you a desktop installation and not bother to do the simple settings for you ?

I am an educated,thinking individual,but not in computers! but the world of Linux and Unixes have no respect for people like me.They do not seem to want us ( I do not mean to offend all those of you who have so voluntarily shared my troulbes taking them upon you ! )

Rgds,

Parameshwara Bhat