Re: non-gecko-based browser - Opera

It would appear that on Apr 27, Daniel Stonier did say:

> Best place for alot of things is right from the horse's mouth :)
>
> http://www.opera.com/download/
>
> It should detect you have linux installed and will taked you to the linux
> download
> list. They have there a list of pre-compiled rpm's, but only up to redhat
> 9 that I
> notice. In any case, I've never used the shared versions which are distro
> dependant. Grab the static version. It contains all the libraries needed
> within
> the binary file (as opposed to shared which uses shared libraries on your
> system - hence distro dependant). Since you are only ever running one
> instance of
> opera there really is no disadvantage with the static version (that I know
> of).
>
> One of the things I love about Opera is its design philosophy, which is
> the same
> reason I use Enlightenment as a desktop - everything is configurable
> and if you dont want something there, you can move it, float it, or just
> blow it
> away if you like. It's all about providing you with the choice, not making
> the
> choices for you.
>
> For instance the bar on the left that you mentioned, clicking on
> View -> Hotlist gives you a few options. I float it so it sits there just
> like another web page (hidden behind the other tabs unless I bring it up).
> You can also have it off if you please.
>
> The browser identification you were talking about is interesting. Opera
> gives you
> the option of letting your browser identify itself to javascripting
> sniffers as
> something other than Opera if you want. Especially useful for poorly
> scripted pages
> which sniff *only* for Netscape and IE and will kick you out if you are
> not either.
> (much better html sniffs to see what javascripting capabilities you have
> rather than
> sniff your actual browser version) Opera renders every page bar one or two
> that
> I've ever been to fine (usually IE javascripting like someone mentioned
> earlier).
> I had a mathematics publisher's web site kick me out once - I came back in
> under
> the guise of good ol' IE and managed to navigate their site fine.
>
> http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/opera/
>
> Gives all the tips on customising and navigating around the interface you
> need.

Thank you Daniel, the concept of "floating" anything that would normally
appear in the sidebar appeals to me. Can it be configured to "float" all
tabs into separate windows??? I know tabs are supposed to be nicer than
windows, But I'm not comfortable with them...

The reason I liked mozilla/firefox's type ahead link navigation was that
it lets me leave most of the dust on my trackball undisturbed. I'd
personally find it easier to type a 20 character sequence than to have
to "click" on anything. But perhaps opera's interface can be configured
to favor keyboard methods.

But in any case, I want it as a back-up browser, so I think I'll have to try
the http://www.opera.com/download/ site. Probably the version for RH9 will work.

Thanks again.