Re: non-gecko-based browser ??? Are there any for FC1 ????

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 01:44:22 -0400 (EDT), Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello. I primarily use firefox and mozilla as my browser(s) of choice.
But when I took an html class last year I learned that many web pages
use browser specific features. And that other browsers may not render
them properly. So I was taught that it was a good idea to keep more
than one browser around in case you wanted to use a page that wasn't
compatible with your favorite, (and to view any page I might make with
as many "DIFFERENT" browsers as possible before deciding they worked
properly.)

Well I recently found a product I wanted to order on-line. But neither
Firefox, nor it's cousin Mozilla was able to actually add the product to
the "shopping cart" This got me looking at browsers again. But everything
 I got on this fc1 (including konqueror) seams to be based on mozilla.

I'm looking for something else. Not for regular use, but so that when I
send a request to some webmaster to make his/her page more compatible
with my software, I want to be able to show that I tried more than one
kind of browser before I decided it was the website, rather than my
chosen software that's at fault. But I simply won't boot windows to test
it with IE (Generaly I disable the cable modem before I boot windows
one any of the rare occasions that I even go there any more.)

Are there any functional browsers for fc1 that don't use mozilla's
rendering engine? (preferably one that can render pages written for IE)

Try Opera - it's the browser I use by default now and one of the older browsers around and not based on the gecko engine. Despite that it's probably just as innovative if not more so than moz.

http://www.opera.com

It's not open source, but you can download the full version for free
if you dont mind putting up with the ad banner in the top corner.

Regards,
Daniel Stonier.

--
email:snorri_dj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx