Re: RSYNC Fedora (Moving onto RAID...)

Scott Burns wrote:

Unless my terminology is wrong, it's only one RAID10 set, that is, multiple RAID1 sets making up a RAID0 stripe. RAID1+0 as I think some people call it.

However, you are right in that there is no reason you can't make it a RAID1+5 with 10 disks or even 15 disks to give the same sorts of protection or better than the 12 disk RAID10. I take the rant along the lines of "if you're going to the trouble, go with the best you can, and RAID5 isn't it". This is why I'm interested in why other's have RAID failures and what they plan(ned) to do next.

Remember you should also have backups.. Many people make the mistake and assume that RAID is a substitute for a good old fashioned backup.. So in the unlikely event that you loose 2 disks in a RAID 5 array you should still have the data availible on another source..

Personally I run RAID in Server A, B and C, rsync the important data from Server A, B and C to Server D (also RAID) and from their backup all the synced data to tape.. Server D does not have to be a big expensive server either.. I use an old Compaq Deskpro P2 400 with lots of drive space (enough for all the synced data anyway) and a DAT drive..

Don't know if that helps anyone..