Re: raise window on-click

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 12:10, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> Iain Buchanan wrote:

> > > As a solution, it ignores the entire issue that under a default
> > > configuration, users *are* going to miss alert-style dialogs if they're
> > > typing when the dialog pops up.
> >
> > not really, the idea being the alert dialog still appears on top, but
> > the focus remains where the mouse is pointing: the window you're typing
> > in.  Then its seen as soon as you look up (which is all the time if
> > you're me).  The only problem is to make sure the dialog doesn't pop up
> > under the mouse.
>
> That "solution" to the problem ignores the fact that most people won't
> be using focus-strictly-under-mouse.  The problem needs to be solved so
> that it's no longer a problem regardless of how your focus is set up.

Not really.  If you're using focus-strictly-under-mouse, ok.  If you're
using focus-loosely-under-mouse, then same thing happens (ie. don't
allow new windows to steal focus), and if you're using click-to-focus,
then same thing agin (ie. don't allow new windows to steal focus), but
still let the dialog appear on top - the focus remaining with the last
window you clicked in and are working on.

Thats not even very complicated, especially compared to all the
if-then-else stuff already in metacity to handle focus for special cases
(changing desktops for example).
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Your mode of life will be changed to ASCII.