Re: raise window on-click

Rob Park wrote:

Ugh, this drives me nuts. I use focus-follows-mouse because I like being able to type into whatever window I'm pointing at, WITHOUT having to click it.
BUT, sometimes I DO want to raise the window, and it's *so* much easier to be able to click anywhere than to be restricted to the title bar.

Alt + Mouse 1

Problem solved.

Actually, now that I'm ranting about it anyway, GNOME really needs a "focus strictly under mouse" mode, not "focus follows mouse, poorly" as is currently implemented. There's nothing I hate more than writing an email, and having some error dialog box pop up, but disappear too quickly to read because I was typing, it stole my focus, and I pressed the space bar, which selected the default action. That dialog box,
whatever it was, just did something that I might not have wanted it to do, and it might be irreversible, and I might never know what it was.

I agree that this is a serious problem. I don't know if it's the window manager's fault though. It might be fixed by never assigning key shortcuts to buttons in "alert" style dialog boxes (that is, ones that open without the user specifically requesting them to open, from a menu or such) or at the very least, delaying the binding of a key to the default button for several seconds.