Re: Name is but sound and smoke (was: Freshrpms.net concerns.)

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 09:49, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2003, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> The idea (as I understand it) is that people want to easily have
> >> add-on packages in their system without a risk that this might modify
> >> core components.
>
> > E.g. choose their stability level. So let's use stability criterions.
>
> It's not really the same.
>
> One of the points is at the time of reporting a bug.  Say I find a bug
> in Mozilla, or in mplayer.  Unless I can pinpoint which repository I
> got Mozilla from, or the exact dependency of mplayer that caused the
> bug, to figure out where I should report it, I'll be at a loss.

Until you do rpm -qi <packagename> and look at the Vendor and/or
Packager tags. ;)

If you are good enough at tracing bugs to figure out the file (library,
binary, etc.) it is in, you can use rpm to get the packager/source.

--
Bill Anderson
RHCE #807302597505773