Re: Freshrpms.net concerns.

On Saturday 08 November 2003 11:22 pm, Florin Andrei wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 12:41, Marc Williams wrote:
> > I *think* that ATrpms, Freshrpms, Dag, and a few others collude so as to
> > make these sorts of conflicts unlikely.

> Wouldn't it be great if all these projects will start to co-ordinate
> with each other somehow? To not re-invent the whell and all that...

But your pneumatic wheel might not meet the need I have for a steel wheel.
And while we're at it, let's talk about tread type, aspect ratio, and all the
other things that differentiate brands of wheels and tires.

Sometimes a different wheel really is needed.  And sometimes it isn't.  But if
somebody wants to waste their time reinventing the wheel, well, it's their
time, not mine.

Multiple repositories are healthy, IMO.  Choice is good.  But with choice
comes responsibility: if you can't handle the responsibility of choosing
between RPM repos, well, maybe you need to go back to Windows.  :-)

I'm not sure it would be great to see all these repos cooperate.  Maybe their
differences are useful to some people.  It might be useful; it might not.
But if I am going to put up a repository and pay for the bandwidth, then I
get to set the rules for my repository.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology