Re: Freshrpms.net concerns.

On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 14:07, Konrad Kosmowski wrote:

> > Packages from freshrpms.net can conflict with packages from other add-on
> > repositories and even with future packages from Fedora Core.
>
> As I said - I've been using FreshRPMS with RHL 7.3, 8.0 and 9 - this
> never happened (no conflicts). And speaking of other repos - use only
> one! I mean: Fedora + AtRPMS, or Fedora + FreshRPMS - I agree, as for
> now mixing addon repos leads to conflicts. But I can't think of a good
> solution to prevent this? Can you? Since Fedora (and Linux in general)
> is free anybody can make their own repo and anybody can use any repo...
> And people usualy do this due to limitations of Fedora and previous RHL.

I *think* that ATrpms, Freshrpms, Dag, and a few others collude so as to
make these sorts of conflicts unlikely.  In my case, I start out with
apt-get from ATrpms - he has a GREAT starter package.  By following his
detailed and clear instructions, I wind up with Synaptic, a GUI upgrade
tool that doesn't pose any conflicts.  At least none that I've seen.
While the ATrpms configured Synaptic is pretty much point and shoot, you
still have some awareness of possible module conflicts.

For me, a Synaptic configured by ATrpms loaded with several good
repositories works great.