From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2003 9:40 PM
Subject: Re: Minimal installation

At 21:44 11/8/2003, Michael Kearey wrote:
>>Perhaps a few of us could cooperate on creating this "smallest" install
>>kickstart file? I will be happy to cooperate, put forth my own efforts,
>>and maybe put up a web page with the list of packages so that we can
>>discuss it. Anyone else want to help? Lox, Michael, Jaroslaw... anyone?
>
>Sure, I will co-operate too. Perhaps test it, put forward my attempts, etc..
>Cheers,
>Michael

Alrighty then, here we go. I have created the "fedora-minimal" mailing list
at simpaticus.com, whose stated purpose is to determine what is the minimum
PRACTICAL set of packages for a Fedora Core 1 installation.

By "practical" I mean that we do not want a system that just boots and then
stares at you, having been crippled beyond any ability to do useful work.
Rather, the search is for a system which is still usable but trimmed of any
unnecessary fat. This "minimal" system will include the following capabilities:

  - Standard Fedora kernel
  - RPM
  - a bash shell, iptables, other truly basic packages
  - as little else as possible

You can subscribe to the list at
http://simpaticus.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-minimal_simpaticus.com which
is the main list page. Please mail <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> directly with any
problems.

I'll be happy to subscribe anyone who requests it or who for any reason has
trouble doing it personally. Feedback also welcome.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx