We need a good and simple hardware database for Free Software users.

Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> [...] Linux developers usually ask for the result of lsmod and "send you away"
> when they that instead of:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
>
> There's the information that Linux is tainted:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P

And rightly so--Free Software developers should not be burdened with doing
support for proprietary programs.  If you want support from NVidia, ask
NVidia.  They are the only ones who can really help you with their
proprietary software anyhow.

Exile In Paradise wrote:
> [W]e should politely (and repeatedly if need be) ask NVidia to go the
> rest of the way and open the source for Linux users and/or contribute it
> to XFree.

That's very unlikely to work.  So long as people are willing to buy their
video cards and recommend their non-free software drivers, there's no
incentive for them to help you.  You are giving them everything they want
and demanding nothing in return.  Why should they want to change that
arrangement?

If you want to see change for the better, you need to stop subsidizing
proprietors.  Stop giving money to people that hurt you.  In the meantime,
recommend ATI graphics cards which one can use entirely with Free Software.
As I understand it, ATI works with the Free Software community and
eventually releases technical specifications so Free Software drivers can be
written for XFree86.

If you have some technical skill and free time, the Free Software community
could really use a database of workable hardware.  This database would let
people easily find out what hardware to buy and recommend (makes and
models), locate the necessary software, and possibly help the visitor
purchase the listed devices by linking to places that sell these makes and
models.