Re: Who wants to maintain KR list for stable releases? (was Re: nmi_watchdog=2 regression in 2.6.21)

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 11:54:32AM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Adrian Bunk wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 12:42:02AM -0700, Natalie Protasevich wrote:
>>> Then I think bugzilla needs:
>>>      adding more categories such as security,
>> "security" would be a flag like "regression", not a category.
>>> system calls (lots of
>>> implementation suggestions for posix and non-posix ones),
>> Bugzilla is for tracking bugs, not for discussing possible
>> kernel features.
>> Tracking feature or implementation suggestions wouldn't make sense.
>> Consider e.g. that there are several people on linux-kernel who often
>> write what they think the kernel should do but who never write a single
>> line of code themselves. There's no value in tracking such stuff.
> That's an interesting viewpoint, only programmers have useful thoughts...
> ignoring users, people who have CS degrees but don't code, etc. I would
> think there's value in any rational suggestions which include technical
> justification for the suggestion.

I didn't say this - users can always suggest features.

But open source is driven by coders, not by dreamers who want to offload
the work of implementing their whacky ideas to other people instead of
getting their ass up and doing it themselves.

So if the user doesn't implement it himself, and no developer is
interested in doing the work after it got posted to linux-kernel,
an idea is most likely not worth being tracked.

> Bill Davidsen

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.