Re: RFC: kconfig select warnings bogus?

Satyam Sharma wrote:
> On 5/20/07, Stefan Richter <[email protected]> wrote:
>> config A
>>         bool-or-tristate "option A"
>>         depends on !PLATFORM_X || HELPER_N_ON_PLATFORM_X
>
> ??? I didn't get this entry,

"A is available if N is there or if it's a platform other than X."

That would be adequate if N is only present and required on platform X.

> can you give a solid example

Nothing exactly of this sort, but compare for example kernel/power/Kconfig:

config SOFTWARE_SUSPEND
	bool "Software Suspend (Hibernation)"
	depends on PM && SWAP && (((X86 || PPC64_SWSUSP) &&
		(!SMP || SUSPEND_SMP)) || ((FRV || PPC32) && !SMP))

Of course this could be written in a clearer fashion, for example as

	depends on PM
	depends on SWAP
	depends on (X86 && !SMP) ||
	           (X86 && SUSPEND_SMP) ||
	           (PPC64_SWSUSP && !SMP) ||
	           (PPC64_SWSUSP && SUSPEND_SMP) ||
	           (FRV   && !SMP) ||
	           (PPC32 && !SMP)

(Untested.)  Anyway, the dependencies which we are looking at here
should not (and partially even cannot) be declared in reverse.

> (you can consider
> the case at hand, MOUSE_ATARI and ATARI_KBD_CORE itself). Better
> still, if you really think that the above is a better way to solve the
> problem at hand, why don't you submit a patch instead?

Because I am lazy and trust that the platform maintainers know best
about the dependencies of MOUSE_ATARI.  Could also be related to that I
as an Amiga owner cannot really relate to Atari. ;-)  Could also have
something to do with my being busy enough fixing bugs in the drivers I
am familiar with.  (Granted, I should shut up, ignore how Kconfig is
more and more turned into a mess, and concentrate on my primary business.)
--
Stefan Richter