Re: the ' 'official' point of view' expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 10:33:12AM +0200, Luigi Genoni wrote:

> On Thu, July 27, 2006 08:56, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >
> >> Said that pretending that KLive data has absolutely no significance at
> >> all and that you can't draw any conclusion at all from it, to me seems as
> >> wrong as pretending it to perfect.
> >
> > Possibly wrong conclusions about the general market share based on data
> > not having the quality for being the basis of such statements are worse than
> > having no data.
>
> Am I missing something, or it is not marketing what we are talking about?
> please I do not understand your point.
>
> For what I understand... I was not supposing reiser4 users to be so mutch,
> but this is very usefull because this means that there are more
> possibilities to test the code well and to fix bugs...

I'm sorry for saying it that directly, and this is not meant against you
personally:

Your statement is a good example why this data is worse than having no
data.

As I already said in this thread:

<--  snip  -->

You are able to say that based on klive data, reiser4 has at least
35 users in the world.

But you can not tell based on klive data whether the ratio of
reiser4:ext3 users in the world is more like 1:5, 1:500 or 1:50000.

<--  snip  -->

I can't prove that the 1:5 ratio is wrong, but the point is that
claiming a 1:5 ratio was true based on the klive data is not better than
claiming it based on no data. But claiming it based on the klive data is
worse since people like you are getting the wrong impression it was
based on data that would have the quality for supporting such a
statement.

The data simply has not the quality for such a statement.
Please read my two examples in [1] if you want to get an impression why
such problems can occur.

cu
Adrian

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/7/26/203