Re: Development tree, PLEASE?

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Lee Revell announced authoritatively:
> On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 21:30 +0000, Nix wrote:
>> Besides, the distinction between a 6 month cycle and a 3 month cycle
>> isn't all that great, and we have a 3 month cycle *now*.
>
> If you want to be a viable desktop OS which requires supporting the
> latest hardware 6 months is too slow.  Many vendors of desktop junk come
> out with a new card every 3-6 months.  Users don't want to wait a year
> for their favorite distro to support their new hardware.

Indeed. I'm not sure if any distros actually *do* release every three
months, but there tends to be *a* release of some major distro every
three months, and some early adopters really do bounce from distro
to distro whenever one of those releases happens so they can get at
the card they bought last week. :)

--
`Everyone has skeletons in the closet.  The US has the skeletons
 driving living folks into the closet.' --- Rebecca Ore