Re: Development tree, PLEASE?

--On January 21, 2006 6:03:01 PM -0500 Lee Revell <[email protected]> wrote:

On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 15:40 -0700, Michael Loftis wrote:
I don't feel that statement is true in all cases.  It's true in a lot
of cases yes, but sometimes 'support' is really simply a matter of
techinga module one more PCI ID.  Or adding in a few lines of code for
a different PHY in the case of an ethernet adapter/MAC.  You also
don't need to change say the queue elevator mechanism to support a new
SATA chipset.  What the complaint is from production systems is the
fact that in many many cases for new hardware support all that's
needed is the little bit of code way out on the edge, without changing
anything else.

In order to "support" AMD X2 systems, it was necessary to revamp the
kernel's internal timekeeping.  How are we expected to deal with vendors
who break backwards compatibility on a deep level like this?

So basically a "stable kernel" means no new hardware support, which
basically means it's dead from the development POV - who would want to
work on such a thing?

That's why there's a maintenance/stable branch of most every single project, commercial or otherwise, and a development branch. Development for new hardware continues, and for people who need these pieces of hardware which require major changes to work, then this much more limited set of users can take the rest of the issues that follow with using a dev kernel, until the stable branch moves up to/off/after the point at which the development branch got support for their new hardware.

A *lot* of us are using Linux for servers or other things that don't change every month.

And I'm not seeing/saying this sort of thing would stick forever, but a '6 month cycle' or something of that nature. Partly because of this I don't forsee myself having time to really start work on this for another month or two since I have to go into devel/bunker and get things working now at the demand of other entities than myself.

This thread has shown that there is desire for such a thing atleast by a few. I'm just sure it's not a one man job, I've also been given a pointer that there is a stable team and I've yet to have time to go in that direction (really stirred the ants nest with this one).

Lee

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler