Re: Development tree, PLEASE?

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, Lee Revell wrote:

On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 00:22 -0700, Michael Loftis wrote:
It makes maintenance a real nightmare
for atleast one environment in which I maintain production systems

Why do you keep having to upgrade the kernel on production systems, if
the old kernel does what you need?

But it is missing all security updates.

What I am currently doing to workaround this problem:

- using Debian Sarge on my production servers as a base
  (good packages, but kernel is just too old)
- Kernel 2.6.12 from Ubuntu Breezy (taken as source, not binary packages)

This way I have at least a working kernel (2.6.8 does not work on my newer boxes) and the security updates from Ubuntu, getting kernel updates with only little changes and low update-risks.

Mainstream kernel is just unusable when you don't have the time to verify
the lots of changes in production environments.

c'ya
sven

--

The Internet treats censorship as a routing problem, and routes around it.
(John Gilmore on http://www.cygnus.com/~gnu/)