Re: Development tree, PLEASE?

--On January 21, 2006 5:18:01 PM -0500 Lee Revell <[email protected]> wrote:

You just illustrated perfectly why the new development model is needed.

If 2.6.8 does not even work on newer machines, then obviously the rapid
pace of development is needed in order to support new hardware.  You
can't have a kernel that supports the latest and greatest hardware
without the possibility of introducing bugs.

I don't feel that statement is true in all cases. It's true in a lot of cases yes, but sometimes 'support' is really simply a matter of techinga module one more PCI ID. Or adding in a few lines of code for a different PHY in the case of an ethernet adapter/MAC. You also don't need to change say the queue elevator mechanism to support a new SATA chipset. What the complaint is from production systems is the fact that in many many cases for new hardware support all that's needed is the little bit of code way out on the edge, without changing anything else. While I am of the opinion new hardware support in a maintenance/bugfix/stabel kernel is a gray area, I can see where there are many times where it could be done, without introducing excessive change.

Right now the most obvious is the udev/devfs problem, at some point you're forced to lose that, that's fine, but there's nowhere to go for bugfixes. That's *ONE* case. There WILL be more/others, possibly ones that are more disruptive. Yes distro's/etc should help, but some of us aren't using distro's. Which is why I started the thread is to try to get a community based longer lived stable tree. Hopefully one that distro's would also use, and contribute bugfixes and patches to, much the same way as we have had in the past, but without directly taking the mainline/core team since they've decided (and I don't begrudge them this at all) that it is too much work to continue maintaining a stable tree, as well as developing, the kernel.

If possible I'd like Sven (even privately) to summarize does not work in a little bit clearer way. IE what bits don't work, or does it just completely fail to boot? TIA! I think he and I are seeing the same problems and are on the same page with this overall larger issue.

Lee

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler